Fuel gauge problem

Hi all:

I want to thank all who responded to my cry for help. I received
many suggestions from leaky float to bad ground. You name it.

Well, I bit the bullet and removed the unit from the tank and the float
was just fine. Checked the circuit from the lead at the tank to the
gauge and it checked out fine. Then I checked for continuity across
the wound wires (don't know what to call it) and found that I have 2
opens in the wire. And as luck would have it, it will only register at
a position that is when the tank is full or near full. So I can only
guess at how much I have when the tank gets low.

Without going into a lot of detail of what I tried, I am now attempting
to fix it temporarily with liquid solder. With a magnifying glass, I
found where the opens are and which side of the open I should solder
the loose wires to. The liquid solder has no electrical properties so I
just held the loose end of the wire at a place where it would make
contact and close the open. Right now, the solder is curing and I am
able to get continuity across the entire length where the wiper normally
slides. I'll report on how it works out.

The windings where the wiper rides are quite worn and I'll bet
some of you may be experiencing this same problem. I'll be
looking for a replacement. In the meantime, does anyone know
what gage and kind of wire is used for this purpose. It does
not seem all that difficult to rewind it if I can find the right wire.
Anyone?????

Thanks again.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA