Re: [Chrysler300] Special Stockton 300 Replacement Wheels

Re: [Chrysler300] Special Stockton 300 Replacement Wheels

In a message dated 8/27/05 4:59:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time, awrdoc@xxxxxxxxx
writes:
The "F"'s brakes faded big time until I switched to disc brakes. Wonder if
they would have faded less if I had vents in the wheels?
Hi all:

When John Characky did the drum brakes on my300F back in 1995, he cut the
backing plates, bent the cut portion back to make small vents.  I never had a
brake fade, even with numerous consecutive stops.  However, the drum brakes were
just insufficient to stop my car in a reasonable distance from a high speed
run, hot or cold.  With the disc brakes I have superior stopping power.  John
Hertog drove my F around Lake Tahoe and when we got back to the motel, he said,
"Dan, if I had your car, I would change nothing on it."  Coming from him,
thats a real compliment.

If anyone is interested, John Characky made the cuts about 1/2" deep, 2"
apart in about the middle of the upper quarter of the leading edge of each backing
plate and then bent them out.  This made the vents high enough to keep out
most water or dirt from getting into the braking area.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA