Re: [Chrysler300] 57 C with 58 motor at RM auction

Re: [Chrysler300] 57 C with 58 motor at RM auction

Hi John:
That IS a a typical 300D engine number.  As in previous years, it  is the "3"
that designates it a 300 engine.  For some reason in 1958 the  engine numbers
are stamped on the block in the 58 N3 XXXX  manner, even  though they are
written on the build cards (microfilm record) as 58 3N XXXX or  more commonly,
3N58 XXXX in the style of 1957.  Finally, toward the end of  the M.Y. run, they
just quit writing the engine number down.  Guess  the guy who did the writing
must have been layed off.  Anyway, the last  four numbers are the important
ones (aside from the "3"), and as most of you  know, do not match the VIN last
four, except just by pure chance.  Hope  this is a little bit clearer than mud.
300ly, Gil Cunningham

In a message dated 2/28/2006 3:30:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,