RE: [Chrysler300] 413 oll pump

I would put a mechanical gauge that is known to
be good on the engine first.  If it confirms the
very low oil pressure then check further.  You
could also pull a valve cover to see if oil is
circulating to the valve train at hot idle. The
pump is not difficult to remove and check.  If it
is not scored and the rotor is within the
specified clearance measuremenst to the housing
(see FSM), the pump is good.  Check the the
spring loaded pressure valve for free operation, replace the spring if needed.

It's been my experience that very low pressure at
idle is due to excessive bearing clearance.  I
did have a big block Barracuda that had low oil
pressure all the time and no oil pressure at
idle.  Turned out to a clogged tube to the
mechanical gauge.  I don't think a high volume
pump has a place in a stock engine.  The bypass
will open at the proper pressure so you won't
really gain anything at speed and you shouldn't
need the extra flow at idle with a good
engine.  If you do need the extra flow, much
better to fix the problem than to put a band aid on it.

Good Luck.

Bill Huff

M, Bob Jasinski wrote:

>Because a year ago I changed the oil to 20-50W and the problem went away.
>Last week I changed the oil back to 10-40W and the problem came back, so I
>figure it is the pump, but I am open to suggestions as to other causes.
>
>Bob J

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: