To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:08 AM
Subject: RE: Cam & Lifter failure

Nick,

I think it would be hard to blame a cam failure on Mobil One. If the
cam was broken in correctly, with non synthetic oil, depending on
the mileage, either a lifter did not establish good rotation on break
in, or you have a bad lifter or soft cam lobe, or perhaps a bad lifter
bore. There seems to be more and more of this happening. I have
been following all these threads with lots of interest. I know Bill went
thru 2 or 3 cams and experienced lifter sticking. If you do find out just
what happened, I would love to know. As an after thought, if you
broke the motor and cam in on Mobil One, then perhaps you could
blame it on the oil. Synthetic is not recommended for break in.

On our race motors, most have rollers, but with the flat tappet solids,
even with high spring pressure, we just put the motor together and
run it. I have never had a cam/lifter failure. So I am having a hard
time understanding why everyone is experiencing this issue.

Earl

Has anyone had a premature failure of cam lobes or lifters using Mobil 1
synthetic oil. Soon after the last oil change. Valve lash on 3 lifters is
now up to .084. 440 wedge with Comp Cam & hyd. lifters.

I think I remember some messages on this subject.

Thanks,

Nick Tiberio

----
directly to that person. I.e., send parts/car transactions and negotiations
topic.  Thanks!

----

----