RE: IML: 67' No Brake Light Issue...

The reason for this is that the brake light and hazard light current is
routed through the turn signal switch on its way to the rear stoplight bulb
filaments.  The front hazard lights are not routed through this switch.  The
other lights you mention are totally independent of the brake light and
hazard light circuits.

When the turn signal switch is in the center position, the switch routes the
brake light current to both sides of the rear stop lights.  When the turn
signal is set for a right turn, the switch opens the circuit to the right
stop lights, and connects them to the flasher, but it keeps the left stop
lights connected to the brake light circuit.   Thus, it is clear that the
brake light current must pass through the turn signal switch.   You can test
this function by using your $4 test light to probe the wiring at the turn
signal connector, easily found on the steering column harness near your left
knee cap.  For what wire to probe, refer to your FSM, or ask here, someone
will look it up for you.  If you find that the brake light circuit provides
12 volts into the turn signal harness, but no 12 volts comes back out for
the rear light, you've nailed the problem to the turn signal switch or the
wiring to it.

These switches are a sore spot on these cars, most of us have had to replace
them to get the turn signals to cancel after a turn, or to stay on before a
turn, or to operate the cornering lights correctly, etc. etc.  It is not a
happy prospect, but you can do it yourself, if you can find a new switch.

Also, NAPA sells a rebuilding kit for these switches, for about 1/20th the
cost of a new one, but it is a nasty job to install the kit.  I've done it
both ways, a couple of times each, and believe me, putting in a new switch
is the way to go!

Dick Benjamin