Re: IML: Imperials and everything else

Quoting "John T. Folden" <nedloftj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Mar 2, 2005, at 11:13 AM, dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

D^2 says...
> > To me, the name is just a name.  Calling something an "Imperial" does
> > not make it an Imperial....

Then John says...

> I guess you find this kind of thinking in just about every circle but I
> always find it surprising. In this case, while a name may just be a
> name it also means different things to different people. Everyone has a
> favorite Imperial period, for me it's the '80-90's models that do it
> for me. Someone else might prefer the 70's models which I personally
> detest.

The argument John is not which era is better than the other.  The argument is
that the two types of "imperials" in question have very little in common,
except may be for the number of wheels (4 plus a spare).  The fact that they
share the same name is not sufficient to me to be discussed in the forum.  But
that is my opinion, and being part of the IML list is more important than
deleting a few messages regarding 90's or 80's cars (which I am sure you feel
the same).  In fact, some people that own 80's cars are very nice, and I like
having them in the list, even if their cars do nothing for me (I am sure the
same applies to 90's Imperials, I just do not read any of that discussion to
know the people, may be its my loss but our time is finite).

> ...and if it weren't for the 90's Imperial specifically, then I
> probably wouldn't have even considered buying a Chrysler. So, they must
> have done something VERY right with this model.

John, I am not a shareholder of Chrysler, so that means nothing to me.  I am
sure there are good reasons to appreciate your car, and make it better or
different than the other moderns.  My point is, those good reasons are NOT the
same reasons that make the 50's-70's cars better or different from their era
cars or from modern cars.  So, there is a complete "automotive disconnect"
between us, and the same name is not enough for me to make a connection.  In
fact, a 60's Chevy has more in common with my Imperials a 90's Imperial.  To
you, all these 60s and 70's Imperials are probably unusual oversize old cars,
and to us (or at least, me), a 90's Imperial is just another modern front wheel
drive car.  I wouldn't even recognize one if I saw it on the road.

D^2