Re: IML: Imperials and everything else

On Mar 2, 2005, at 11:13 AM, dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

To me, the name is just a name. Calling something an "Imperial" does not make
it an Imperial. People in this country suffer from "brand loyalty" which I
completely fail to comprehend. That's why I can't see what the 90's
"imperials" have to do here in this list, but I am a minority. Even the 80's
barely compare, and I would be an even bigger minority on this one.

I guess you find this kind of thinking in just about every circle but I always find it surprising. In this case, while a name may just be a name it also means different things to different people. Everyone has a favorite Imperial period, for me it's the '80-90's models that do it for me. Someone else might prefer the 70's models which I personally detest.

So, to assume that someone likes a given model year that you don't simply because of 'brand loyalty' or that a given model isn't a 'real' Imperial simply because it doesn't fit your notions of one is the far side of misguided, imo. If it weren't for the 80's and 90's models then I wouldn't even give the "Imperial" name a thought.

...and if it weren't for the 90's Imperial specifically, then I probably wouldn't have even considered buying a Chrysler. So, they must have done something VERY right with this model.

John