Re: IML: Imperials and everything else

On Mar 2, 2005, at 4:45 PM, dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The argument John is not which era is better than the other. The argument is
that the two types of "imperials" in question have very little in common,
except may be for the number of wheels (4 plus a spare).

This is, no doubt, a fact - but this applies to virtually all the Imperials between major redesigns. However, your original comment indicated your opinion that the "newer" Imperials don't belong on this list. This implied that the newer models aren't "real" Imperials or that this list is intended for only old models before an unspecified cut off date. Neither one of those ideas is true. Nor are there just "two types". A 70's Fuselage doesn't have any more technical brotherhood with a 1940's postwar model than it does with a fine 93' example. Now, if you were to suggest that there might be technical merits to having separate lists for each major restyling I might agree, as well, but don't think the weak number of msgs for a majority of those designs would merit this action in reality. Perhaps if this were a forum rather than a simple mailing list it might work better.

different than the other moderns. My point is, those good reasons are NOT the
same reasons that make the 50's-70's cars better or different from their era
cars or from modern cars. So, there is a complete "automotive disconnect"

As above, this "disconnect", as you perceive it, doesn't apply to just the 80's and 90's models.

you, all these 60s and 70's Imperials are probably unusual oversize old cars,

Not at all, there are several old designs that I appreciate quite a lot... the late 60's and 70's models simply do nothing for me, personally. I don't have any trouble accepting them as real Imperials alongside the 50's or 90's models, however.

John