IML: Update- 1961 Imp Conv in 2006 Coast-Coast Race

IML: Update- 1961 Imp Conv in 2006 Coast-Coast Race

Title: Update- 1961 Imp Conv in 2006 Coast-Coast Race
OK, so I'm prepping my car for the Great Race in June, and it's not ready yet (SURPRISE!).  But this weekend, we had a practice rally around the hill country of East Texas: 3 days of time trials and competition.  Problem -what car to use?  Navigator Dave rented a white Toyota Solara convertible in Austin, as the closest we could get to the real thing!  The only trouble is, it's all roundy and small and just didn't have that Imperial look.  Sooooo...., we went over to the Office Max and got some big sheets of white foam-board, silver & clear duct tape, an X-acto knife and some red Sharpies.  We cut out inside and outside fin skins from the foam-board, contoured and clear-taped them to the Toyota blob-mobile, painted a couple of clear hotel-room plastic cups red with the sharpies and mounted them on the fins with 'chrome' duct tape, where Exner meant them to be!.  Duct tape on the top edge between the fins' skins made a passable imitation of chrome trim there, and we wrote the Imperial script right on the new fin flanks!  Wow!  You've never seen such an improvement in a car's looks!  We raced it with the top down and the fins up, testing the sunburn limits of our skins and the strength of the tape.  And we finished 3rd in the rookie class, too!  Great Pix to come, stay tuned!

It don't mean a thin' if it ain't got that fin!

LOL,
jc
--
John A. Corey