IML: Undercoating removal

I am getting ready to remove my gas tank and as I was checking the bolts that hold the tank strap, I realized that the were covered with undercoating (factory?).  When I say covered you can barely make out the strap or that there is a nut on the threaded portion. My questions are; Is there a way to dissolve the under coating on this part of the strap so I can get a wrench or socket on it? Will I end up having to "chop" my way through it?

Did the Imperials all come with factory undercoating or was a dealer applied item?
Thanks,
Greg
64 Imperial Conv