Cassettes and 8-tracks

I live in NY and I've never had to turn in any of my
plates after taking insurance off a car, selling a
car, etc. I just throw them in a pile in the garage.
So long I don't use them or put them on a car, I've
been fine.

I thought that was legal, as I've heard many radio-ads
(paid by the ad concil) talking about how one should
recycle plates- they say to bend them in half, put
some spry paint on them and put them in the blue bins.

My cousin takes his plates off with the insurance
every winter on one of his cars, never sends the
plates anywhere, and he's in NY. Maybe there are local
laws on this in addition to the states ones?
___
On the 8-track note, rescue mission type junk stores
sell 8-tracks for almost nothing. Somewhere, I've got
a copy of every Beatles and Pink Folyd 8-track ever
released... elsewhere I know I've got several working
8-track machines (couple hi-fi units, one portable,
etc).