Exploding Batteries

This is not strictly Imperial related, but it's a safety issue and I
thought it was important to pass this along.

I am working on a project with a fellow who used to work for one of the
major battery manufacturers and he has been telling me some of the
horror stories that he became aware of regarding lead acid batteries--
the type most commonly found in automobiles (and Imperials).

Jumping your car's battery can be VERY dangerous.  The "exploding
battery" is not a myth.  This guy was telling me that you seldom hear
about these cases-- where people have lost their eyesight or their limbs
while jumping a car battery-- because the battery companies have a
policy of settling these cases the minute they come up.  They set aside
a portion of their profits to pay off the victims of these accidents,
the main reason being to keep down negative publicity that would result
from a contested case.

I know it's been said here before, but the way most people jump their
batteries is the wrong way to do it.  Most folks go from the positive
terminal on one battery to the positive on the other battery, and from
negative to negative with the other cable.

The proper way, according to my source, is to go POSITIVE to POSTIVE,
and then NEGATIVE to GROUND.

In other words, on the car with the good battery, the car you are
jumping from, you attach both clamps to the terminals.  On the car with
the bad battery, the one you are jumping, you attach the cable from the
positive terminal to the positive terminal, and then the negative to a
bolt or something on the block AS FAR AWAY FROM THE BATTERY as you can.
When you are done, you go in the reverse order.  That way, if there is a
spark, there is less change of it igniting any gases from the battery.

Contrary to what most people think, the most dangerous time for a spark
is right AFTER you finish jumping-- not when you first connect the
batteries.  The reason for this is, once that "dead" battery is hit with
electricity, it will immediately start to release gases as a byproduct
of the internal reaction that goes on.  Those gases go right into the
atmosphere around your battery.

I know a lot of people may already know this, but not everyone (I
didn't).  Friends of mine have always laughed at me for stepping back
and turning my head away when jumping, but it is NOT a joke.  I really
got some grisly details from this guy.  Not only can the battery
explode, but when it does, it is flinging out acid and tiny bits of
casing and the metal plates inside-- and most people are usually looking
directly at the battery when this happens.  So it is not stupid to wear
goggles.

Batteries are also more volatile right after they've been charged.  He
told me a story about a fellow who bought a brand new battery at an
Autozone (or similar store) and had his arm blown off carrying the
battery out of the store.  All it took was a little bit of static
electricity when he touched the metal door handle on his way out.  This
guy settled out of court for $300,000.  (The only way to really protect
yourself in this case is not to move a battery right after it's been
"quick charged" or carry it in an insulating box or sack, I guess.)

Anyway, folks, be careful jumping your battery!  It's not a myth!

Mark M