Neutral safety switch on a 57?

Since the neutral switch is the starter button when it is completely
pressed, there cannot be any other way to start it.  Unless, of course, the
car is field rigged like mine.

Getting back to Phillipe's original question, he is saying, if I recall
correctly, that all his transmission buttons yield nothing but reverse.  My
idea is that the cable has been yanked too far out and the miniscule amount
of distance effected by pressing in the other buttons makes no difference.
There is a cable adjuster mounted directly on the transmission.  Adjusting
the cable may be sufficient to regain the other positions.  Either that or
the gear selector itself is defective.

One thing this transmission does have is a fail safe mechanism for when
reverse is accidentally selected at any speed above 5 MPH.  The transmission
will "override" the instruction.  If the cable got snagged somehow, it is
feasible that the car allowed him to continue.

Hugh