oil smoke

Quoting Roger Farrar <tenpalms@xxxxxxx>:

> <<<<<<<< If the smoke is worse at start up and goes away, it is probably the
> valve stem seals.  >>>>>>>>
>

> This isn't really conclusive and probably more often is a sign of worn
> rings.

Actually, this is the standard sign for worn stem seals.  The reason is
simple.  When you turn off the engine, the oil in the heads sloowly leaks down
though the valve stem seals.  If the valve is closed, much of the oil will stay
above the valve.  If the valve is an intake valve, as soon as the engine
starts, all this oil will be readily burnt.  If the valve was stuck open when
the engine was off, this leaking oil will wet the piston with oil.  When you
sart the engine, all this oil will burn rapidly giving you the blue smoke puff
on the back.  As soon as this quantity of oil is burnt up, the rate at which
oil goes down though the valve stem may not be high enough to sustain the
visible blue smoke.  Eventually, as the seal deteriorates further, that may
change.

One of the signs of worn rings is oily rear bumber.  The qantity of oil leaked
may be so high, that it does not burn, but comes out as droplets.  When this is
observed, then the complete overhaul may not be far.

>   Remember that all
> these external check are just indicators, and that often, the stem seals and
> piston rings are BOTH worn to some extent. Good luck.

The good news is that since the valve stem seals are rubber, they can
deteriorate much faster than the metal parts.  So it is very likely that the
rest of the engine has a lot of life ahead of it.  If the smoking is aggrevated
by the hot summer weather and slows down in the winter, then this is another
sign of valve stem seals being the problem.  For some reason, cold weather
tends to temporarily improve the seals, especially if the car stays not driven
for long periods of time...

D^2