Paint probems, need some help

What ever the problem,the paint and what ever under neeth must come off,that we all will agree!
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Paint probems, need some help

Bill I wrote a note which follows.  Before I pushed send, I went back and reread your original post and now am not sure about my original diagnosis.  If it has been several YEARS, I hate to think that it is outgassing NOW.  I'd tend to suspect there was surface rust under the repaint that was NOT killed.  It took some time to grow to the point where it lifted the paint.

What makes me say this is your comment that the bumps are HARD.  I had an outgassing problem several years back.  It showed up within a month and the bumps were 'soft'.  I could press a thumbnail in them and see the mark.

If you have a bump in a spot that is not easily noticible, you might take a sharp knife and pick it open and just see what's inside.  Either way it's not good.

Following are my comments on outgassing bubbles_____________________

I had used some polyester finishing putty over some minor pits, sanded, primed with urethane, and laid the color.  All in a couple days.  EVERY where I had used the putty developed blisters.

The bad news is that there is NO CURE except taking off the paint down to the problem and redoing the panel.

Modern paints are inpermeable.  Old style lacquer primer will outgas for 30 days.  New Urethane primers are done in an hour ( I still like to wait a few days before sanding though.  It just seems to sand better).

I don't know how production shops can do things so fast.  Well actually I do, they have ovens that bake things to speed up the process.  I guess that works for fillers also.

Kerryp
http://dte.net/57imperial
KaP Imperial Services - Patch Panels, Metalshaping, Restoration
Manufacturer of high quality Wheeling Machines