From: "ernie stepney" <estepney@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 1:22 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Repeal of old car emissions exemption by California
legislature

What are the requirements for the test? Do you have to recertify
annually?
In British Columbia, Canada we require all vehicles running a collector
plate to have a one time test when applying for collector status and
recertification whenever ownership changes. All older cars running
regular plates are required to be certified annually for emission
standards applicable to their model year. Most cars over 30 years old
have very high specifications, so if properly maintained they will pass.
The collector plate status makes driving a vehicle occasionally, (read
not a daily driver) less inconvenient from a bureaucracy point of view.
In my opinion, any vehicle that is being driven as daily transportation
should be able to meet a reasonable requirement for exhaust emissions
just as a newer vehicle must meet emission standards for its model year.
My 38 Chrysler, 58 Imperial and 75 MGB all meet their respective
specifications with room to spare.

Ernie Stepney