Re: Re: IML: 72 Imperial for Sale

These folks are getting slightly more sophisticated, but only slightly.

A few weeks ago, I received an e-mail from a person calling himself "Kingsley
William," and at first it seemed somewhat legitimate because he never mentioned
an "agent" in the U.S. who would pick up the car (a dead giveaway), and he also
asked questions about the condition of the vehicle and requested photos of it.
This was unusual, because in the past they have never asked about the condition
of the vehicle-- something any legitimate buyer would do.

They never dicker over price, either-- probably because they know they have no
intention of paying for the car, so what difference does it make?  Every single
person I've sold a car to has ALWAYS tried to get me to come down in price--
except a scammer.

Anyway, I played along on the chance he was legit and today, 4 e-mails later, I
finally get the mention of an "agent" in the U.S. and the use of a cashier's
check.  I have already told him 3 times I will only take wire transfers from
overseas buyers.

In my opinion, here are the things to look for:  Anyone who is legit will
question you extensively on the condition of the car.  Anyone who is legit will
try to get you to come down in price.  Anyone who is legit will listen to you
when you tell them which method of payment you prefer.  Anyone who is legit
will send you a deposit to secure the car.  And finally, anyone who is legit
will probably want to work through a professional shipper, not an "agent" of
his in the U.S.

That's my 2 cents,
Mark