Re: [FWDLK] What engine code is this??

--- Bill Watson <wwatson@DIRECT.CA> wrote:

> ...while the Dodge Coronet V8 used the "A" block
> 325-cid V8.

I know Bill knows the deal here, so I'm guessing this
to be a typo (and the easiest kind to make)...

The '59 Coronet used a 326 V8, which is indeed an "A"
block and is often mistaken for a 318 poly. AFAIK this
engine was used exclusively on '59 Coronets and a
small number of mid-'60s Checkers. (There may be some
truck/industrial applications I'm unaware of.)

Slow supplies of the 326 were the basis for a lawsuit
Checker filed against Chrysler, alleging that Chrysler
failed to live up to their part of the supply
agreement because they feared Checker as a competitor
in the taxicab market. Checker got out of this
contract and started using Chevy V8s, also replacing
their Continental Sixes with Chevy Sixes after a very
brief period of trying Rambler OHV Sixes.

The 325 poly is an earlier engine, with a scalloped
pattern at the bottom of the valve cover as opposed to
the sawtooth pattern seen at the bottom of the
277/301/303/313/318 poly/326 valve cover.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban
'64 Chrysler 300-K 2dr Hardtop