IML: Imperial, New Yorker, new, or maybe a really nice restoration job o

IML: Imperial, New Yorker, new, or maybe a really nice restoration job on a 40 year old car instead for the cost of a new one, if offered! Hmmm?

Revive the Imperial?  Yes!  Revive the New Yorker?  Yes!  The New Yorker was
carried over into the "Cab Forward" platform cars from Chrysler in '93 and
ran I think through '96, or '97.  It was a less expensive version of the
LHS.  New Yorker was also the reason the Imperial was killed off after the
'75 model.  Since by the '74 version of each the Imperial, and New Yorker
were basically the same car, Chrysler killed the Imperial rather than the
New Yorker due to the mere fact that there had been a New Yorker each year
back to the late 20's, or 30's.  I know this from the news stories in '75
when it was announced the Imperial would cease production, and the New
Yorker would carry on.  I thought there was also always an Imperial, but I'm
not sure.

I would personally take out a 9th mortgage to get an Imperial IF it were
offered with:  Large size rear drive, Hemi powered, a coupe, and most
importantly, a CONVERTIBLE (to possibly replace the jelly bean Sebring,
which looks to much like a mid '90's Camero from the rear, or did in '96
when introduced to replace the LeBaron vert.), and was solid, with trim, and
bright work, wood, or other high end finish materials.

On the other hand, as has been mentioned, if the car cost $40-$50+K, I may
go out and by, as some said a fleet of older Imps, several different years
could be had with that kind of money, or more likely, take that sum of
money, buy one, or two really desirable verts (desirable is subjective here,
Greg has his '65, I have currently a '66, but would love to have a '60, '61
again) and in reality that kind of money will only really do one car really
well, restore it to near perfection, and then drive it.  Yes, drive it.
What is the point of spending that kind of money on a car and then trailer
it everywhere.  It would be my "brand new" car, and I would drive it as
such.  With $50K, or lets say $10-20K to buy a solid car to restore, and
then $30K to actually restore it.  Yes, you could easily spend more, but I
think $30K would make most any car very reliable, attractive, and road
worthy as any new car is.

My opinion only.

Bill Ulman
Seattle, WA